dimanche 21 mars 2010

Ode to Daffodils



I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils,
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils

The Daffodils, William Wordsworth

This week our first daffodil burst into flower. Now we have a group just underneath the forsythia which has also burst into golden yellow flowers. I'm so pleased this little tableau at the bottom of my garden has worked out, I can see it from my kitchen window. I planted the daffodils a few years ago and the forsythia hadn't been pruned for years when we moved here and didn't flower any longer. I've pruned it hard for a few years now and this year it is covered in flowers. The hard work has finally paid off!

ps This photo is of daffodils at Derwentwater in the Lake District, UK. I held the record for swimming Derwentwater for many years.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire